Save the Children released an Issue Brief (#4, 2008) entitled "Protecting Children During U.S. Emergencies". It outlines four recommendations for States to establish as part of childcare licensing. They are as follows:
1) maintain written disaster plans that are coordinated with local emergency responders
2) conduct evacuation drills in conjunction with local communities
3) designate relocation sites and routes to those sites
4) develop reunification plans for children and families
5) develop written procedures to provide for children with special needs
How does your child's daycare stack up to these recommendations? The full brief can be read here: http://www.savethechildren.org/publications/reports/Disaster-Preps-Issue-Brief-Final-1.pdf.