In nature, natural gas is invisible and odorless. Most major natural gas utility companies add an odorant that smells similar to a skunk or rotten eggs so it can quickly and easily be detected. If you smell natural gas, play it safe and act quickly by doing the following:
1) Leave your residence immediately and call your local utility provider (if you don't have the number call 9-1-1)
2) Do not use your cellular hone to call a provider inside the house. Using any type of telephone could ignite leaking natural gas.
3) Do not turn light switches or other electrical switches on or off (see reason for #2)
4) Do not activate your electric garage door opener to leave your house (see reason for #2).
5) Do not try to re-light a pilot light or strike a match. Get out of the house immediately.
Remember to always be safe and cautious when it comes to natural gas! For more information about emergency preparedness please visit www.jocoem.org.